1.What is Fashion to you? Fashion is an art form that’s often mistaken as glorifying brands and expensive material instead of respecting fabrics, shades, textures, color blocking, shapes, stitching, and combinations.
2. Do you love Fashion? (Explain why) I definitely Love fashion. It enables us to express ourselves and make statements without speaking verbally or physically. It even separates body language based upon what we are wearing. In the same sense, a body gesture can actually mean something completely different depending on what we are wearing. It’s powerful! I can take your respect without permission through fashion. However, we need substance to maintain the respect. First impressions are difficult to break. Especially as a black man.
3. What is a fashion must have for you? A must have is wrist wear. Very rarely will you ever catch me without a watch or some assorted wrist wear.
4. What does your style say about you? My style says: Timeless Classic Man that plays by my own set of rules.
5. Do you have any favorite menswear brands? I can name a few brands that appear in my closet Hugo Boss, Brooks Brothers, Zara, SnapSuits (My own custom suit company. Co-owner)… However, I am not married to any brands. I like what speaks to me when I see it. Boutiques usually have really unique pieces from brands that we may rarely run across.
6. Do you have a male fashion icon? To name one would be disrespectful LOL! I can appreciate Davidson Frere, Nick Wooster, Kanye West, David Beckham, and Ryan Goslin. Each of them push the envelope and create trends while maintaining their personal timeless appeal.
7. Do you have any fashion advice for men?
a. Wear what’s comfortable for you and never be afraid to express yourself through fashion art.
b. Every gentleman should have a go-to tailor. Don’t believe the myth, they’re not ridiculously expensive.
c. Go against the grain just because.
d. However, please refrain from buttoning the bottom button of a two button suit jacket!!! LOL
Saved and Fabulous readers will love to hear what men have to say about women fashion.
8. Tell us how you feel about women’s fashion? Women’s fashion is another level of fashion art. It goes beyond men because women have so many options. I don’t understand it on the rack, but I get it when it’s on the body of a woman.
9. Do you love women’s fashion? More like respect.
10. Does a woman having good style matter to you? (Explain why) I certainly respect it. I enjoy the art and it’s enjoyed to have the conversation whether verbally or silently with a lady. It’s pretty dope when a woman clearly knows what she’s doing.
11. What is one article of clothing you admire on a woman? The shoes.
12. What are your thoughts on ladies who dress sexy/revealing? There are levels to dressing sexy. Honestly, I like sexy attire, but I respect when it’s done tastefully or sexy within the right setting. There are many ways to be sexy without being naked.
13. What are your thoughts on ladies who dress conservatively? There are levels to this as well. I’m not a fan of too conservative. But as in #12 there are ways to be conservative-classy-sexy. I respect what God has done with the female body. It’s art within itself.
14. Which female celebrity’s style do you most admire? I like Angela Simmons, she kills it.
15. Do you have any fashion advice for women?
a. Put heals in your wardrobe (whatever kind you can actually walk in). b. If you have a man don’t let him see you in sweats all day. Dress up a tad even when you’re chillin. Don’t let him be too thrilled by every other woman besides you. c. Sexy is more than naked. Light, loose, and soft hanging fabric is sexy too. d. Go beyond the typical LV and Gucci brands.
Since this is a “Saved and Fabulous” blog, we want to end it with your faith!
Tell us : What does this Scripture mean to you?
Joel 2:13 “Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity”
I believe this scripture is speaking of giving God what is eternally his instead of what is temporary and meaningless. This reminds me of the concept behind the book of Ecclesiastes, “Nothing matters, but God”. We can’t serve more than one master. “Pay” God with your whole heart… He’s not the kind of “entity” that’s into tips:)
In a nutshell, we should keep it 1,000 with God:)
Saved and Fabulous thanks Shawn for his great answers and his insightful male perspective!!
Not only, does Shawn have superb style and a knack for fashion, he is a great writer and his story is incredibly inspiring. He recently wrote the book , How ‘Bout That For A “Crackbaby”.
Click the link below to find out more about the book.